About the Origins of Camp Roanoke
Camp Roanoke originally opened in 1925 as a camp for boys. Through the years, hundreds of kids from all over the area spent their summers enjoying the camp life. In the late 1980s Camp Roanoke closed. During this time period, the property on which the camp sits was purchased by Roanoke County as part of the watershed needed to construct the nearby Spring Hollow Reservoir.
Roanoke County, seeing the potential and sensing the need, began fundraising and renovation efforts to bring the camp back to life. The camp sits on 110 acres of mountain land surrounded by more than 600 acres of reservoir property, with brilliant views of Sunset Peak and the surrounding mountains. Facilities at the camp include accommodations for 64-80 kids, a newly renovated dining hall, a large pavilion, challenge course, a 44-foot tall climbing tower, a multi-sport play court for basketball, and plenty of green grass and open space.